As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoy outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
UW Finance has an outstanding opportunity for a Software Engineer. This position plays a key role in building, remediating, and retiring dozens of financial applications as part of the UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT), a multi-year effort to replace the University’s financial systems. The Software Engineer is responsible for full stack development, maintenance, and support for financial administration applications. The role includes technical leadership and collaboration with stakeholders from across the University.
The technical scope requires an ability to quickly learn UW policies, functional processes, and procedures. Software complexity ranges from application, web service, and database coding, to systems integrations and security architecture.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Systems Design and Development
• Develop and code new features utilizing modern technologies and following best practices • Write readable, testable, and maintainable code • Collaborate with front-end developers and database developers on creating well-integrated, performant back end solutions • Develop technical estimates • Manage workload and negotiate priorities to achieve milestones • Apply best practices and help the team improve on quality and stability of the system • Participate in and perform peer code reviews • Explore opportunities for automation and instrumentation • Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to take on broader responsibilities when necessary • Contribute in an agile scrum team
Planning and Consultation
• Solve problems as a team with Business Analysts, Subject Matter Experts, QA Engineers, Designers, Software Engineers, and other stakeholders • Document and communicate technical concepts and designs
• Support existing data-driven applications (Access, .Net, Excel)
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Math, Finance, or equivalent experience and minimum of 4 years’ experience developing systems in an object-oriented environment
• Proficiency in object-oriented development in C# and .Net Framework • Knowledge of API Development and Design for cross team integration • Good technical, cross group collaboration and communication skills • Demonstrated design and problem-solving skills • Experience with automated testing, source control, automated deployment, and continuous integration solutions • Strong passion for performance analysis, quality and engineering excellence at scale • Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team to complete projects. • Pragmatic problem-solver with the ability to focus on meeting short term goals while not losing sight of the big picture
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except where there are legal requirements such as license/certification/registration.
• Experience with Jira, Wiki, SharePoint or other enterprise tools for managing work and tracking deliverables. • Experience in a large university, large medical center, or other large complex enterprise. • Experience with Workday or other ERP financial
Experience with MS Access and Excel • Knowledge of Agile development methodologies • Knowledge of LEAN process improvement theory and methodology • Experience with cost or financial accounting • Experience with University of Washington financial systems
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.