Search Results for Greater Washington State HERC
NCAssistant Professor in Quantitative Psychology
NCAdministrative Assistant II
NCTrade Worker 2nd. Shift
Davidson College is located north of Charlotte, North Carolina, in the town of Davidson. This historic campus is an excellent choice for the student who seeks a vigorous undergraduate education in a residential environment.
- Ranked among America’s strongest and most selective liberal arts colleges
- Governed by a vital Honor Code
- Alma mater to 23 Rhodes Scholars
- Competes in 21 sports at NCAA Division I
- First liberal arts college to eliminate loans in financial aid packages
History: Founded in 1837 by Presbyterians
Location: Davidson, North Carolina, 19 miles north of Charlotte
Campus: 665-acre main campus; 110-acre lake campus
Number of students: 1,950 enrolled, 49% male 51% female
Students of Color: 25%
International Students: 5.9%
Student Distribution: 47 states and Washington D.C.; 38 countries
Living on Campus: 93%
First-year students returning for sophomore year: 95%
Student to Faculty Ratio: 10:1
Average class size: 15 (over 70 percent of classes with fewer than 20 students)
Faculty: 179 full time; 97% with highest degree, 90% tenured or on tenure track
Majors Offered: 26 majors plus 17 minors, plus Interdisciplinary Studies
Interdisciplinary Minors: 17
Students with abroad experience by graduation: 76%
Courses offered each year: more than 850
Libraries: E.H. Little Library: Librarians and professional staff: 12; the bulk of its resources are in electronic format.
Additional library branches: Sloan Music
Endowment: $660 million as of December 31, 2015
- Honor Code tradition with self-scheduled and unproctored exams
- Campus-wide commitment to community service
- Interdisciplinary majors
- Self-instruction in five languages
- Dean Rusk International Studies
- Grant-supported student-faculty collaboration
- Off-campus programs in 17 locations worldwide
- Domestic and international summer internship/study programs
Motto: Alenda Lux Ubi Orta Libertas. Translated “Let Learning Be Cherished Where Liberty Has Arisen,” the motto reflects Davidson's roots in early American history. There is speculation that the phrase refers to the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence that was signed into effect on May 20, 1775.
We recognize that attracting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff is critical to maintaining our academic standard of excellence. That is why we offer competitive benefits for our employees.
Davidson’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity is grounded in the college’s Statement of Purpose and extends to the entire Davidson community. The college seeks to foster mutual respect and understanding among and for all people of different cultures, ethnicities, races, religions, sexual orientations, genders, ages, national origins, socio-economic backgrounds and physical abilities.
We strive to enrich our community by attracting, supporting and retaining students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and perspectives who bring a variety of talents, passions and worldviews. Davidson adheres to strict non-discrimination policies and is a place where those who live, work and study see difference as an opportunity to learn about themselves, each other and the larger world. The college is committed to fostering humane instincts and disciplined and creative minds for lives of leadership and service after Davidson.
Davidson College is a campus where century-old trees and brick buildings blend with state-of-the-art technology and top-notch facilities within the trusting, supportive community of Davidson, N.C. Davidson’s primary purpose is to assist students in developing humane instincts and disciplined and creative minds for lives of leadership and service in an interconnected and rapidly changing world.
Davidson’s Honor Code is at the core of students’ relationships with professors and peers and instills a moral courage that lives in them long after graduation. Many of the college’s alumni will attest that Davidson not only provided an exemplary education, but also transformed their lives. The Davidson community empowers, inspires and educates people on how to understand their talents in light of what the world needs from them.
Through need-blind admission and debt-free financial aid packages, Davidson will honor its aggressive, simultaneous commitment to educational excellence and access for all talented students regardless of their financial circumstances. At Davidson, exceptional and ambitious students collaborate with professors on research and conduct independent research of their own with funding support and opportunities at home and abroad.
Despite its size, Davidson participates and is competitive in NCAA Division I athletics The Wildcat coaching staffs are as committed to Davidson’s educational mission as they are to its athletic success. Varsity student athletes pack their books along with their sports gear when representing the college on the road.
Davidson College is one of America’s strongest and most selective liberal arts colleges. The college’s transformative impact for good through the lives and leadership of our students, faculty, alumni and staff resonates far beyond the campus community.
- Through The Davidson Trust, Davidson became the first liberal arts college in the United States to replace loans with grants in all financial aid packages.
- Ninety-six percent of Davidson students return as sophomores.
- Davidson's alumni are committed to the mission of the college with over 59 percent of alumni donating to college every year for the past 12 years, placing Davidson among the top five schools nationally in alumni giving.
- More than 80 percent of Davidson graduates earn graduate or professional degrees.
- The campus is located within 20 miles of the growing metropolitan area of Charlotte, N.C., providing numerous research and internship opportunities.
- Davidson is a signatory of the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment by which it pledges to reduce the college’s carbon footprint in specific, measurable ways.
- Approximately 80 percent of the student body study, travel, work or perform service in another country.
- The Handshake database stores exclusive internship and job opportunities from families and friends of Davidson, alumni and other employers who have strong interest in hiring Davidson students.
- Eighty-five percent of students participate in some type of community work during the academic year and, during the 2012-2013 academic year, $22,903 in project grants were awarded.
The college offers state-of the-art facilities and venues for the arts. Students share the stages, galleries and performance halls with professional artists and have opportunities to produce their own theatrical productions, use private studio space and perform musical programs.
REIMAGINING THE LIBERAL ARTS
Culture of free inquiry, characterized by intellectual engagement, where risk taking and failure are essential for growth.
Curriculum based on students doing original work inside and outside the classroom, where students discover new knowledge, express new insights and create art—every day.
Inclusive pedagogy with cross-institutional collaborations, creative, synergistic curriculum; nationally distinguished faculty and programs; dynamic, active and community-based learning; and holistic, tailored advising.
A COMMITMENT TO EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE AND ACCESS
A diverse community where inclusivity is a commitment and broad practice; all our students feel welcome, supported, seen and heard; and equal educational opportunity is made real.
Where athletes are scholars, wellness and health are high priorities, and each individual can flourish and thrive.
A welcoming campus community that supports the whole person, where we focus on talents such as writing and speaking clearly, analyzing complex problems from multiple perspectives, compassion, integrity and moral courage.
Students discover their passion and talents in light of what the world needs and through meaningful summer experiences, internships and international opportunities.
Graduates are creative, compassionate, global citizens and lifelong learners who have transformational impact in the world and lead in service of something larger than self.
Faculty and staff model living full, integrated lives of consequence. College community serves as a source of lifelong connections and career support.